This article helps readers understand the vulnerabilities of surveillance cameras. Contact us at Jay 360 for help in choosing the right security camera model to help secure your home or business.
Despite the security features offered by IP cameras, parents, in particular, should know that surveillance camera’s vulnerabilities are being exploited. Here is a news clip of parents realizing hackers had invaded their baby monitor camera.
Is my Surveillance Camera at Risk?
Based on the vulnerability testing of a security researcher, the following manufacturers are susceptible to tampering and unauthorized access:
The list published identifies almost 80 companies that have confirmed points of vulnerability. For the full list of companies please review the researcher’s report findings here.
Surveillance Camera Vulnerabilities Fact Sheet
Referring to a detailed and technical document from cigital.com we translated the 6-page document into a one-table summary. Here are the top security vulnerabilities found in an IP digital camera:
If you are wondering what you can do about these particular security issues our source’s published report can provide some helpful insights: see here.
What can be done about these vulnerabilities?
Despite the many advantages of living in a digital environment, each and every piece of technology comes with its own flaws. This is not relegated to surveillance cameras but is also part of every technology ecosystem. Despite the challenges, surveillance cameras remain a foundational tool to help improve property and workplace security. The discussion then is not whether we should use technology but how: in that line of reasoning we look at how to manage surveillance cameras’ vulnerabilities:
- Change your password regularly: changing the log-in and factory default passwords on your security system regularly can help you secure your property and the privacy of your home. It is suggested that passwords are changed every month to ensure optimal security.
- Stay up-to-date on vulnerability disclosures: when surveillance camera makers realize there is a major security flaw, they often provide disclosures either recalling products or providing patches to address the issue. Here are some examples of companies that have provided surveillance camera vulnerability disclosures:
Axis – https://ipvm.com/reports/axis-critical
Exploit Database – https://www.exploit-db.com
ELK – https://www.elastic.co/community/security
- Report security issues to the manufacturer: some companies like HoneyWell allow customers to submit security issues they’ve encountered for investigation and resolution. This can not only help you but others who are using the same manufacturer.
- Get help from a security expert: over the years a security expert will come across and resolve all sorts of challenges and headaches for customers, some of which go beyond the scope of this article.
Get Peace of Mind and Protection with Jay360
Don’t get caught with surveillance camera vulnerabilities. Get the help you need to ensure peace of mind and privacy for your property. There are many more factors to consider when designing and installing a surveillance system. Jay 360 continues to help clients ensure their premise security, looking at all the different angles to provide you with peace of mind and comfort. You can rely on the knowledge and experience of Jay 360 to provide you with the best home security solutions. Digital or analog, we have you covered. We will recommend only the security products that meet your specific needs and budget.
Call on Jay360 to help you to plan the ideal security camera system to suit you and your needs, all at the very best value.
Read more from the Ultimate Guide to Surveillance Cameras:
This series helps you choose and setup the best camera system for your next surveillance project: offering insights and direction to those wishing to secure their home and small business premises.
- Chapter 1 – Overview major manufacturers of surveillance cameras
- Chapter 2 – How to choose the best security camera model for your project
- Chapter 3 – What is the best analog surveillance cameras vs digital surveillance cameras
- Chapter 4 – Where to place surveillance cameras for the most security
- Chapter 5- The different types of security cameras
- Chapter 6 – How much do surveillance cameras cost?
- The Ultimate Guide to Surveillance Cameras – Overview